TYE 138: Dog training for humans with World Champion Dog Trainer, Susan GarrettJun 13, 2022
I’ve learned more about being a better human from Susan Garrett than anyone I’ve ever met. She is as much a life coach as she is a renowned dog trainer and world dog agility champion. Her teachings for dogs are all rooted in kindness, creating the proper environment and leaning into each dog's unique qualities, rather than forcing them to be what they’re not. All things that we humans can use to better our own behaviour.
Susan is one of the world’s most successful dog trainers and agility competitors. She has won over 30 Gold Medals at National or World Championship events with every dog she has ever owned over the past 30 years. She’s on The YES Effect to talk about how practice, patience, visualization, ignoring negativity and embracing our strengths - for dogs and humans - is what leads to success.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why Susan focuses on kindness in dog agility training
- How we can manipulate our environment to make the right choice the easy choice
- What Susan learned as a kid by having the TV on during dinner
- How Susan has trained so many dogs with different qualities to all be champions
- How athlete’s mindset, visualization and breathwork help in training our brain for almost automatic success
- Susan’s method of visualization before every dog agility competition
- How we can “trick” our brains into knowing how to succeed before even doing it
- How visualization helps Susan alleviate back pain and plantar fasciitis
- How the behaviours you rehearse everyday with your dog become who you show up for in the world to other people in your life
“You can achieve everything you want and have the dog of your dreams if you focus on training your dog with kindness.”
“The behaviours you rehearse everyday with your dog become who you show up for in the world to other people in your life.”
“You can choose to try something and if it doesn’t work, we’re going to get a lesson from that.”
“Your brain doesn’t know what’s real and what’s not. So if you can visualize, your brain thinks you’ve already done it. And who isn’t better at anything the second time you do it?”
“When I look at my dogs all I see is greatness. It’s up to me to bring it out.”
“Raise your vibration. When you’re coming from a place of gratitude, love and appreciation, it changes the energy you send out into the world and controls the reality you’re going to receive.”
Links mentioned in this episode:
Susan’s website: https://dogsthat.com/
Join The YES Effect Inner Circle Facebook Group for a behind the scenes experience about what it means to Believe, Belong and Become!
5 Ways to Capture People's Attention - Get it FREE ↓↓↓
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.